I had never had Miso soup before. I tried it a few days ago and loved it.
Miso soup is a go-to item on oriental menus for a reason. Even though I am NOT a tofu eater, it was not bad in this soup.
- 2 cups of water.
- 2 tablespoons of Miso paste.
- 1/2 teaspoon of Dashi (optional, feel free to vary amount).
- 1 sheet of Nori, roasted seaweed (optional, torn into tiny pieces).
- 1/3 block of Tofu cut into 1/2″ blocks.
- 1 or 2 Green Onions (optional).
Put water, Miso paste, and Dashi powder into pot.
Bring to boil.
Add Nori sheet, torn into tiny pieces, into pot.
Bring heat very low.
Add Tofu and heat until hot.
Turn off heat.
Add Green onion(s)
The AWASE MISO label points out that tofu and wakame can be replaced by other vegetables, meats, and fishes.
I added a handful of frozen oriental vegetables and think that it really added to the soup!